Monday, January 22, 2018

Three Funny Books You Need to Know About


Happy New Year!


(I know I'm late, but never mind!)

I don't know about you, but I did a lot of reading over the holidays. And whenever I finish a particularly good book I'm always hopping around dying to rave about it to anyone who will listen.

And I particularly love a book that makes me laugh out loud.

That's not as easy as it sounds.

Sure, I love to laugh.




But to make me laugh out loud while I'm reading? Not common. Make me float up to the ceiling? Not as much as I would like!

So I thought I'd start 2018 year off by recommending three middle grade books that will tickle your funny bones, even as they're thrilling you or inspiring you.

I'm already thinking about re-reading them!

These are in no particular order, but I promise that you'll giggle. Heck, you might even chortle. Or you may find yourself on the ceiling, floating on all those laughter bubbles!

1) ODDITY





I knew this book was for me when I read the following line on the first page:

Why not prepare him a little before setting angry leopards loose in the gym, instead of letting him drag down our class' score?

This adventure/mystery book has the best world-building ever. Carnivorous dumpsters. Zombie rabbits. Evil alien puppets. Rashes that turn out to be spider nests.

This is funny? Nope - this is hysterical. And just when you think Sarah Cannon can't come up with something even more bizarre or funny, she tops herself.

One of the most original books I have read in years, I still smile when I think of the images  and some of the lines in this book.

Buy it or borrow it and thank me later!

2) SVEN CARTER AND THE TRASHMOUTH EFFECT




Trashmouth Effect?

Sven's not your usual protagonist, what with his propensity for eating disgusting things - licking the top of his school desk, eating a handful of dirt from a potted plant, munching on used cotton balls at the dentist's office.

Trust me - this all makes sense pretty quickly!

At first you squirm, but then you laugh. A lot. Because Rob Vlock has written a witty, ironic novel that kids are going to swallow hook, line and sinker. (and really - wouldn't you rather they ate this book than used cotton balls?)

Another mystery/adventure novel, we root for Sven as he comes to grips with who he is and what his place is in the universe.

With his sidekick Alicia - who is like Lara Croft for middle graders - Sven needs to save the world. And luckily for us, we get to take the thrilling, hysterical ride along the way!


3) ENGINERDS





You know you are in for a ride when the robot eats ALL the food and starts shooting cubes out of his butt.

Which is when I could hear the cheers of middle graders everywhere in my head.

This books has it all:


  • enterprising kids
  • Self-building robots that don't like radishes and want to take over the world
  • Dogs named Kitty
  • Characters with the funniest and at times, most deadpan reactions. 


I laughed my way through this book, enjoying the clever plot. But was careful not to stand behind any of the robots...


So those are my recent favourite funny reads. Would love to hear about some funny books you've read lately!




No comments: